Mortal Engines is the film adaptation of the book of the same name. It will be released December 14, 2018.
Plot synopsis Edit
Thousands of years after civilization was destroyed by a cataclysmic event, humankind has adapted and a new way of living has evolved. Gigantic moving cities now roam the Earth, ruthlessly preying upon smaller traction towns. Tom Natsworthy (Robert Sheehan)—who hails from a Lower Tier of the great traction city of London—finds himself fighting for his own survival after he encounters the dangerous fugitive Hester Shaw (Hera Hilmar). Two opposites, whose paths should never have crossed, forge an unlikely alliance that is destined to change the course of the future. 
Plot summary Edit
To be added
See also: Full cast
- Robert Sheehan as Tom Natsworthy
- Hera Hilmar as Hester Shaw
- Hugo Weaving as Thaddeus Valentine, Head of the Guild of Historians
- Leila George as Katherine Valentine, daughter of Thaddeus Valentine and one of London's elite
- Ronan Raftery as Bevis Pod
- Jihae Kim as Anna Fang, a pilot and resistance leader
- Stephen Lang as Shrike
- Patrick Malahide as Magnus Crome
- Colin Salmon as Chudleigh Pomeroy
- Regé-Jean Page as Captain Khora
- Mark Hadlow as Orme Wreyland
- Sophie Cox as Clytie Potts
- Aaron Jackson as Gench
- Stephen Ure as Pewsey
- Kee Chan as Governor Khan
- Mark Mitchinson as Vambrace
Deborah Forte, president of the Scholastic Media Foundation, expressed interest in adapting the series in October 2006. Scholastic sought material for a family franchise, intending two movies: one combining Mortal Engines and Predator's Gold, and a second combining Infernal Devices and A Darkling Plain. In an interview, Philip Reeve has said that he knows and trusts Deborah Forte to adapt the book for the big screen.
By December 2009, Peter Jackson had acquired the rights to Mortal Engines and had, along with Christian Rivers, begun development of the film. The film was kept on the back-burner for years until October 24th 2016, when Peter Jackson announced in a Facebook post that the Mortal Engines movie was underway, and would be directed by Christian Rivers, with a script written by Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Philippa Boyens. The cast was announced between February and April 2017.
Shooting for Mortal Engines began in March 2017 in New Zealand, and concluded in July 2017. Additional pickup filming occurred in early 2018.
On May 5th 2017, Jackson released concept art for the film through a Facebook post.
On June 4th 2018, the first film stills were released by USA TODAY. The next day, the official full length trailer was also revealed. Universal Pictures published the first behind-the-scenes featurette on June 28.
Before its release, the film received criticism from fans of the Mortal Engines Quartet for heavily toning down Hester Shaw's scar from the novels.
While Peter Jackson is keen to develop a film series, there has been no formal announcement of sequel plans. When asked about the possibility of a second film, scriptwriter Philippa Boyens, stated that "mostly, this has to work as a film. This may be the only one... I hope not because I think the story just keeps getting better and better."
Hence, the Mortal Engines movie will feature particular references and keep a few doors open, allowing a sequel to pick up certain threads.
- ↑ Mortal Engines Movie Official Website
- ↑ Leadbeater, Alex. "The Minions' Role In Mortal Engines Explained". ScreenRant, June 05, 2018. Retrieved 08/20/2018.
- ↑ Mortal Engines on IMDB
- ↑ Peter Jackson to adapt sci-fi series (stuff.co.nz)
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/PeterJacksonNZ/photos/a.10150238899061558.364437.141884481557/10154407807111558/?type=3&theater
- ↑ https://twitter.com/Junkie_XL/status/1037717192417062918
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/PeterJacksonNZ/photos/pb.141884481557.-2207520000.1526776646./10155069591781558/?type=3&theater
- ↑ Mortal Engines Official Teaser Trailer [HD]
- ↑ https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2018/06/03/first-photos-peter-jackson-new-young-adult-adaptation-mortal-engines/662236002/
- ↑ Mortal Engines Official Trailer [HD]
- ↑ Mortal Engines- A Look Inside In [HD]
- ↑ https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/100111468/Mortal-Engines-Fans-want-to-know-why-books-heavily-scarred-lead-is-now-flawless
- ↑ Eric Eisenberg. "Why Peter Jackson Is Very Excited About Making Mortal Engines Sequels".
- ↑ http://www.mortalenginesmovie.com/2018/08/will-there-be-mortal-engines-movie.html
|Mortal Engines Series|
| Fever Crumb • A Web of Air • Scrivener's Moon |
Traction City • The Haunted Sky • Night Flights
In the Bleak Midwinter
Mortal Engines • Predator's Gold • Infernal Devices • A Darkling Plain
The Traction Codex • The Illustrated World of Mortal Engines
Mortal Engines (film)